About Me

My photo
I like running and science and I have no idea what I'm doing with my life. So I'm writing a blog or something.

Monday, January 16, 2012

To Kindle or not to Kindle

Reading Technology <-- fitting comic to come out today.

As I prepare to go offshore for two months, I'm wondering if I should get a Kindle.

PROS:

  • Access to millions of books, magazines, newspapers, etc on a small, light-weight object
  • Since I want to pack light, having a Kindle means less space and weight taken up by books
  • Maybe in the future I can get my grad school textbooks cheaper on the Kindle?
CONS:
  • Monetary commitment (in addition to buying the Kindle itself, I'd probably buy a case to protect it and then all the books/media to put on it costs money as well)
  • I've always been against the whole concept of a Kindle;  I really like reading real, physical books
  • The comic I linked to at the beginning of this post expresses my feelings exactly
And if I do decide to get one, there are five different Kindles to choose from...

UPDATE 1/17/11 14:58: does anyone have anything bad to say about the Kindle?  I'm still not 100% sure I'll get one, but the scales sure do seem to be tipping.

UPDATE 1/20/11 12:23: NOT GETTING ONE.  I just don't want one. Too bad I wasted all that time researching them, but when I tried one out in Office Max, it was not remotely compelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment